Tuesday 1 May 2012

Flower Child

I don't want to be a stinky poo poo girl, I want to be a flower child ~ Drew Barrymore.


I have recently become obsessed with sugar flowers. I think it's my way of remembering the sunshine which has all but disappeared. It has rained pretty much every day in England for the last 3 weeks. We had all these news reports about a drought and then suddenly the heavens opened and I can barely remember what the sun looks like anymore. 


Being stuck inside gave me plenty of practice time so I had loads of sugar flowers hanging around the house. I decided to put them to use as cupcake toppers and experimented with a chocolate and coconut cupcake flavour. I used cream cheese frosting this time, but I think this would also taste nice with a mascarpone icing for a lighter flavour.

Chocolate and Coconut Cupcake

Chocolate Cupcakes (adapted from the Hummingbird Bakery)
80g (3oz) unsalted butter softened
140g (50oz) caster sugar
140g (50oz) soft brown sugar
200g (7oz) plain flour
40g (1½oz) cocoa powder
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
1 tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
240ml (8½fl oz) full fat milk
2 large eggs

Cream Cheese Frosting
300g icing sugar (sifted)
50g unsalted butter at room temperature
125g cream cheese, cold

1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3 and line 2 muffin trays with cupcake cases. 
2. Put the flour, sugars, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt and butter together in a large bowl or food processor and mix until everything is combined and you get a sandy consistency. Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
3. Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated (scrape any stray ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Add the desiccated coconut and continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
4. Fill the cupcake cases with the cake mixture until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean, or the sponge will bounce back when touched.
5.  Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. 

While the cupcakes are cooking make the icing.  Mix together the butter and the cream cheese. Then slowly add the icing sugar mixing gently until you have a smooth icing that is quite firm. Leave to cool in the fridge.

6. When the cupcakes are completely chilled, pipe the icing on top and garnish.




I quite liked this combination as the desiccated coconut adds a different texture to the cupcake. Let me know if you give this one a try!


Peace & Love


xx

Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower ~ Hans Christian Andersen

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. These are beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sugar flowers are not my forte! It's been raining here too. I will not say it sucks, going to work with rain sucks but it beats hot striking summer. The colors of this cake is perfect for the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite things to do on a Saturday morning is to take myself to Portobello Road and over to the Hummingbird Bakery and buy one of their chocolate fondant cupcakes --- which they don't make everyday, obviously --- covered in chocolate sprinkles. And then I shop while nibbling on it.

    Your photography is beyond beautiful! I'm still gaping at those cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I think these are one of the most gorgeous cupcakes I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The attention to detail is amazing I also love the photography.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey very cool blog! I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally¡KI am happy to search out a lot of useful info right here in the submit,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Need To Boost Your ClickBank Banner Commissions And Traffic?

    Bannerizer made it easy for you to promote ClickBank products by banners, simply go to Bannerizer, and get the banner codes for your favorite ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator to promote all of the available ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...