Friday 11 May 2012

Losing My Religion...



re·li·gion (r-ljn)
n.
1.
a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
b. A personal or institutionalised system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.


Not many people would admit that they are religious. Despite what the definition above says, most people associate religion with greed, intolerance, war and legalism (stressing the letter of the law rather than the spirit of it). 


The truth is that I have been in a passionate love affair with religion for most of my adult life. I like the routine, the clarity and the sense of belonging that it brings. That was, until my love 'betrayed' me and suddenly I was on the outside, lost and confused. I looked around and saw so many people like me, some lost, some angry, some rejected some unconcerned. I'll never forget a gay friend of mine asked me with tears in his eyes "Why does God hate me? I wouldn't chose this life, I feel so abandoned because He doesn't accept me." It broke my heart.



This last year has been a real time of inward and upward reflection. A time of going back to basics and once again asking those difficult questions. I don't have all (or many) of the answers but there are some things that I know to be true;

- There is a God, He is alive, He is love, in Him we live and He lives in us.
- To love is the duty and calling of all men.
- God wants us to be our true and best selves and live our best lives.



Am I losing my religion? I don't think so, I would more say I am gaining a better awareness of my true self. What are your thoughts?

Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life ~ Buddha


Peace & Love
xx


ps.The pictures are of chocolate dipped honeycomb from a recipe in 'Gifts from the Kitchen' by Annie Rigg. Click here for a link to the recipe.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Thnak you for this. Your baking and pictures are interesting, philosophical and . . . brilliant. The picture/ baking/ composition accompanying this written piece is well . . . picture and pitch perfect. Thank you for wanting a dialogue and for searching and reflecting. You seem prepared to do the 'hard work' that so many people just ignore. All life and, in my opinion, religion and belief must be about a continual reflection and questioning otherwise we fall into mere assertion and the 'comfort blanket' that belief and habit can offer. The opposite of thinking and open debate is dictatorship, oppression and terror. Keep on truckin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, it is definitely 'hard work' to ask those questions and not be afraid of what answer may come :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the post, interesting questions.

    A saying comes to mind "Search for me as you would search for Silver". When it comes to God many people are happy to tick boxes, look outwardly that are in full receipt of God. The truth is many people spiritual bank is empty.

    Reason being they do not search for who God like they would a pay check, playing the lottery, working on their career etc. The truth is those that seek in a passionate way will find more than religion they will find the TRUTH. That truth opens the doors to answers, solutions, joy, peace etc.




    Bless

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...