Saturday 30 November 2013

Rainbow Cake


Rainbow cakes are one of those things that you see on Pinterest and wonder how much of an awesome person you would be if you could actually pull it off...


Well, seeing as we are rapidly approaching the season of goodwill and all, I bring you good tidings.

Rainbow cakes are in fact achievable, and reasonably straightforward.


My top tips for making Rainbow Cakies

I made 3 quantities of my trusty vanilla cake & 2 quantities of vanilla buttercream, (click here for the recipes), and divided the cake batter evenly into 6 bowls. 

Rainbows have 7 colours but I made mine with 6; Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue & Violet only because I wasn't sure the whole indigo thing was going to work out for me, by all means try it though - be authentic!

So here goes...
  • Colour the batter using gel paste. I use either Sugarflair or Americolours. The Sugarflair colours are available from any cake decorating store (& I presume Amazon). I ordered the Americolours online from cake decorating suppliers. I used about a half teaspoon which seems like quite a bit, but I find that it gives the best colour for the sponges. The normal liquid food colours are a bit of a waste of time really.
  • Bake the cakes in sandwich tins according to the recipe (about 20/25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean), using separate sandwich tins for each colour.
  • Let the cakes cool in the tins, then take them out and freeze them before assembling the cake. This is the crucial part as it stops crumbs from going everywhere when you ice it. Depending on how cold your freezer is, you can probably get away with leaving them in the freezer for 2 hours after they have cooled.
  • Cover the cake with very generous amounts of buttercream and cover with sprinkles.
  • Easy peasy (ish!!)

The cooked cakes ready to cover with icing
The inside! 
If like me you need step-by-step instructions, then head over to Kerry Cooks here. She gives very clear instructions (and a recipe).

Happy Baking!


Source: weheartit.com

Peace & Love

xx
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...